Total Pageviews

My family

Embrace Today By: K. Wilhelmina Floria

Tears of happiness shall fall,
listen close for your destination call.

A river of tranquility flows through life.

Ride out the eye of the storm, pass the strife.


Saturday, October 2, 2010

The doctor thinks he's God

It's is my kind of weather out there.  I layed in bed under the covers this morning just enjoying the cool air.  It rained all day yesterday another of my favorite forecast, only I was out in that wet stuff. I had that doctors appointment with a new doctor.

I took Access-A-Ride to the office, I was early so I went to the grocery store and picked up some celery, some bread, a pound of turkey breast and a pound of American cheese.  I walk what was about a block to the doctors' office.  There were steps, two flights.  I considered changing my mind about this doctor.  I sucked it up, lifted my oxygen and made it up the stairs.  My chest was tight, I got dizzy and I started sweating.
 I went to this doctor 3 years ago to get clearance for my hysterectomy, he's a cardiologist.  I told him I wanted him to be my primary doctor and he asked about my previous doctor. I told him I had a lot of health issues now and I didn't think the previous doctor could handle me.  I didn't say is so bluntly but he got the gist.  I think that turned him off.  You see the previous doctor ignored my symptoms.  In fact that doctor told me I was  narcissistic.  I did consider going back to him when I got this insurance, but thought about my health.  I liked that doctor, he was easy to talk to. But I don't think he would be best for me now.  Besides he only has evening office hours and he's very crowed.

So I gave this cardiologist an update on my health.  I told him about the Pulmonary Hypertension and he says he's sure I have it and told me it's a progressive disease. He listened to my lungs, heart and said he will have me come back and do an echo.  He said I should do a full heart cauterization.  Then he said he'll find a pulmonary doctor, I told him I have an appoint with one on Monday. He looked annoyed.

I wanted to talk to him about my headaches, the numbness in my mouth and the dizziness. And that I don't sleep. He kind of dismissed me, I did not feel comfortable with him. When I told him I needed medication he seemed shocked, again annoyed, so I told him I only needed my blood pressure medication.  I've been taking meds for over 2 years, I can't go with out them.  It wasn't like I was asking for Oxycontin or some narcotic.  He didn't schedule me for another appointment until the middle of November, was I suppose to go with out meds until then?  I'm going to reduced my steroids myself to 10mg, that should hold me until I see the Rhuematalogist.  I'll take one potassium a day and one acylovire hopefully I'll be fine.

I see a new pulmonary doctor on Monday, I'll get him to refer me to a primary doctor that's a cardiologist. This way the two of them can work together.  I know this may sound racist but I'm just going to state a fact. Very few black folks know how to handle business.  They start a company, open an office but fail to develop the skills to be customer friendly. It is the customer that makes the business.  You can spend billions on marketing, yet, the best advertising is when a customer recommends your business and the most negative is when a customer is not satisfied.  I am very much unsatisfied with that doctor I meet yesterday. He didn't smile, reassure me or try to make me comfortable with him. It appeared that he has a God complex. Like I should be thankful he's giving me the crumbs of his time.

I'm not a fighter, remember.  I don't want to go back to him but I don't know what to do.  Should I asked the pulmonary doctor Monday for a recommendation? Should I just go back to him and see how it works out?
It's times like this that I wish I had someone to advocate for me.  This is one of those instances that I feel alone.  But I vowed no more crying, whining or self pitting.  It'll work out God is with me and will carry me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Embrace today.